Wednesday 1 June 2016

Coast to Coast - Lesley Brankin
I live almost as far from the coast as it is possible to be so when on occasion I find myself by the sea it is most definately a very long walk home. My quilt represents a theoretical coast to coast walk - the backdrop of the hills in the middle (where I live) and seascapes at top and bottom. I say theoretical as although my mind thinks it would be fantastic to undertake such a walk, I know my body would think otherwise!

I had great fun making this quilt - starting off with an old pillowcase which I ripped into strips. Each strip was tied/stitched and then dyed in strong tea. Using the resultant stitch resist patterns to dictate the my hand stitching I let the form of each landscape evolve as I worked.  Finally I made a little print block and printed a trail of footprints to represent the walk.



2 comments:

  1. What a great angle to take on the theme. so effective,it tells us so much. Great to have the explanation of your thought process. I love being able to use up something like old sheets or pillowcases. Look forward to seeing more of your work and welcome to the group

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way the buttons are smiling. It's a piece that made me smile too.

    ReplyDelete