Sunday 24 November 2013

Complementary Cosmos


This is my first time posting to the group, so I hope I'm doing this properly. 
 
This piece was made for an online class I recently took with Katie Pasquini Masopust.  It is called Complementary Cosmos. 
 
 
 
The design was sketched out full size, then I cut it apart and traced the pieces onto fused fabric using 7 values of one color.
The orange complementary color shapes were added to create an optical illusion of the color shifting from lighter to darker intensity depending on the background fabric.  The violet and blue shapes were added for additional color interest.
 
Variegated thread was used for the circular quilting. 
 
Comments are welcome. 
 
Diane
 

5 comments:

  1. An interesting piece, Diane. Thanks so much for giving details too. It is so interesting to hear about how a design is put together. Which online class did you take with Katie Pasquini Masopust? I didn't know that she did any online classes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the 7 shades of one colour and the additional complementaries, very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the feel of this piece. It also reminds me of sperm circling the ova as in reproduction.
    colours and movement are very appealing.

    ReplyDelete