Monday 8 April 2013

YEAH!!!! I'm back!!

Blogger wouldn't let me post unless I entered through Internet Explorer for about a week!  (I HATE Internet Explorer....more importantly IE hates my computer and continually messes it up!)  But I just HAD to touch base with you guys so I'm submitting....for today at least.
OK, now to catch up.....

I'm WAAAY behind on this March challenge...Poem.  First, I was sick for two weeks which threw a major wrench in my schedule for just about everything!  Then, I had challenges getting the piece to look like I wanted it to.  Lots of experimenting has been going on.  I think I have it now so I'll be working on it to be completed soon.  Might have to skip April....we'll just have to wait and see how quickly I can catch up on other things as well.

Anyway, here is the beginning of the March Poem piece.  I chose the poem by Robert Frost, "The Road Not Taken" which begins...."Two roads diverged in a yellow wood..."  It is not just my favorite poem, it is something of a life poem for me on many levels.  To me, living in Minnesota, a yellow wood is aspen or birch. I had been considering just how I wanted to make the woods when I saw a tutorial on doing just that with painted shibori!!! Talk about timely! After paintin the shibori first with a dark gray and then with white, I
went in with a Pigma pen and made the black marks on the birch trees!!  Then I used a brayer with ruber bands wrapped around it to give the impression of leaves. The problem came when I tried to introduce the divergent paths....but I think I've worked that out now.  I just need to execute it.  And if that doesn't work, I might just truly execute the whole thing!!  LOL!!

Here is what the backgound "woods" looked like.

2 comments:

  1. Great atmosphere. Got the feel of yellow woods. Thanks for the details of how you made it. Were you using thickened dye or acrylics or fabric paint?
    Irene MacWilliam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Irene, I used acrylic paints for the shibori. I chose that because I felt the acrylics would give the white trees a bit on "depth" because the paint sits on top of the fabric.

    ReplyDelete