Sunday 30 September 2012

Days of wine, roses and castles


This small quilt recalls some very happy memories of when my daughters were young. We had a boat and travelled the canals during the summer holidays. As a family we had huge fun with "Cats Paw", which we kept for  several years. We sold the boat when we moved house twenty years ago.
The photos featured here date from 1990 and our summer holiday that year. The small figure on the back of the boat with me is my younger daughter, then aged 6.
I should explain, that the "roses and castles" of the title refer to the style of decoration on narrowboats on the canals in England and Wales. The decoration on "Cats Paw" is not really quite in the same tradition - I preferred to paint cheerful daisies. I must also apologise for the dreadful photograph. I shall try taking another photo once the weather improves here - the daylight is so dull at the moment.

2 comments:

  1. A nice memory piece. will you or your daughter hang it.
    Irene

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea. Rosie does have a number of my quilts already. She hasn't seen this one yet.

    ReplyDelete